Wednesday, March 15, 2006

SINKING

God, I'm old. New music really is starting to sound just like noise to me.





AD VER SARY
INTERNATIONAL DARK SKIES
Slow, distorted, Nine Inch Nails type thing. Not industrial in the classic sense. Is it all instrumental? I don't hear any vocals.


IN FLAMES
COME CLARITY
Jesus, there are so many layers of guitar at the beginning that you can barely hear the snare drum. Wait, let me turn off the compression patch. Okay, now it just sounds like sing-songy ghey nu-death metal. It's not horrible. Wait, I take that back, the clean vocals are fucking disgusting. Which is a pity because the rough parts are forward-thinking.

GEORGE NOOKS

COME A LONG WAY
Big-bwah reggae, bwah. & look, I haven't mentioned Horace Andy once.

LONELY, DEAR
SOLOGNE
The singer sounds like Perry Farrell as a (voodoo) child. I'm usually a big fan of the quiet acoustic mopey end of things but this is so...like...self-conscious? That I just want to listen to Motorhead now. And deny ever owning an acoustic guitar.

MORRISSEY
RINGLEADER OF THE TORMENTERS
Okay, here we go. It sounds like Moz is jumping on the Reznor/Pixies/Nirvana quiet/loud/quiet thing about 100 years too late here. Ha. Nice one. And the second one is like Radiohead. Inevitable really. Is that better than fake rockabilly? Hmm. Let me ponder that for a minute. "Life is a Pigsty" is nice. Don't know about the rest.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS
YOU IN HONEY
Acoustic electronicaaacaca. With bizzzzzzling synths & foodle-y bass guitar line. Pop. I've certainly heard worse today.

SUICIDE COMMANDO

BIND TORTURE KILL
Holy fake Skinny Puppy. Or Front Line Assembly. But probably Skinny Puppy. Dude, if you do distorted vocals over a big swingy synth riff like "Assimilate", what do you expect me to say? But it's weird because other tracks are just, like, trance. So it's hard to say. And I can think of worse artists to rip off.


TANTO METRO & DEVONTE

MUSICALLY INCLINED
Oh no, this sounds like that Shaggy song. Straight dancehall reggae with a high-voiced r&b singer dude.

THE NEW AMSTERDAMS

STORY LIKE A SCAR
Wimpy-voiced big-budget 'indie' rock. Country overtones, slide guitar, cellos. Which makes it sound like American Music Club. But it taint.

No comments: