Monday, March 13, 2006

FALLIN'

The Nick Drake documentary was surprisingly cool. It's beautifully filmed & they do lots of really long, moody shots of things like his bedroom & a street in Tanworth-in-Arden. Actually that type of thing makes up about half of the 50-minute movie. The rest is interviews with his sister, Joe Boyd the producer, the guy who did the arrangements & the engineer. Oh & the photographer too. So, bit of talking, bit of moody filmwork, with, like, just the rhythm tracks of "At the Chime of a City Clock". Type of thing. Nice to see his grave at the end, just like I remember it. Actually it was sunny out on the day we were there, so all my pics are well-lit. Their shot was super-dark.


DISPARAGED
BLOOD SOURCE
"Contorsion"? Is that a word? Gotta love brutal death metal bands. Fuck it, just make up your own words, who cares. Tis more brutal & thrashy than average. Nice blastbeats. The vocals are audible. Good stuff. If a trifle generic. "Split in Half". Nice.


BLEEDING THROUGH
THE TRUTH
Um. More modern thrash/death. Ew, clean vocals. Next.

THE QUILL
IN TRIUMPH
Downtuned 80s style hard rock. Weird.

BREAKAWAY
MALAGA EP
It's like metal, then it's like wimpy wimpy emo. I feel like I need to make peace with this genre, I might really be missing out on some level. At this moment I don't see how that could be possible. I guess this is what I get for wondering what Ocean Blue would sound like as a metal band.


BULLWACKIE ALL-STARS

DUB UNLIMITED
No surprises here, just fucking excellent dub reggae.

DUDLEY PERKINS
EXPRESSIONS 2012 AU
The first song sounds like Busta Rhymes on a Sly Stone kick. From there it reminds me of Black Eyed Peas and Wyclef. Of course I am just fucking ignorant. And no, "Dear God" isn't an XTC cover. I'm not that fucking ignorant.

PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
STEPFATHER
Puts me in the mind of Dub Pistols, the Roots & Jurassic 5. Did I already hear this one? I should make a list. Positive, intelligible hippyhoppy.

RADIOINACTIVE
SOUNDTRACK TO A BOOK
Fake Eminem. Wow.

THE KOOKS
INSIDE IN INSIDE OUT
Flavor of the moment in the UK? Or did I read that wrong? Acoustic guitar & Badly Drawn Boy type vocal melody on "Seaside". "See the World" starts like yer average Strokes/Interpol/whatever but kicks in nicely. The production is actually kind of cool, I don't know how to describe it. Everything sounds 2 dimensional. I might dig this until/unless it gets popular here. "Jackie Big Tits"!!! HAAAA! Yes. Fun title & tune.

Q-POINT
NOTHING ELSE
Fake jazz, Portishead, Massive Attack, Thomas Dolby, Sade, possibly homemade. Smooth jazz. Not bad for what it is but, y'know. Downtempo not quite jazz not quite electronic.

BEN HARPER
BOTH SIDES OF THE GUN
Two discs, do I have to write two reviews? His voice is annoying. Too bad everybody sounds like this now - acoustic guitar, orchestra, light drumming.

BLOF
UMOJA
I don't know where these guys are from, I just wanted to write 'blof'. They're big somewhere in Europe. And it's easy to see why.

CIGAR CYPHA

WORLDWIDE
I remember Mystikal.

ELLEN ALLIEN & APPARAT

ORCHESTRA OF BUBBLES
Damn. This is like techpopdanceOrbitalHawtin type shit but with her singing on it. Nice & epic too. Let's dance! Seriously.

MATMOS
THE ROSE HAS TEETH
Ow, my torso. I can't dance to that! And: Art Of Noise called, they want their fucking thing back.

No comments: