Friday, April 07, 2006

PAMPARIUS

ARCTIC MONKEYS
WHO THE FUCK ARE ARCTIC MONKEYS EP
Amusing, snotty guitar pop. Tunes, swearing. I approve.



EDGEWATER
WE'RE NOT ROBOTS
Nice set-up with that album title. Because y'know obviously now I'm inclined to say that the rest of the title should've been 'but we might as well be'. So, thanks for that. What is this? Downtuned indie rock death metal. Ya get me? Remember when I used to say wake me up when death metal dudes & Cure fans discover each other? & how I used to think that would be a good thing.


D.A.D.
SCARE YOURSELF
Melodic hard rock pop.

DOG FASHION DISCO

ADULTERY
Emo metal. Did he just say the power of chrysler can help you? This stuff would rock way more without the obnoxiously over the top production. Okay, your record label spent a lot of money on this, I get it.

KIRA AND THE KINDRED SPIRITS

KIRA AND THE KINDRED SPIRITS
Is this the chick that was in Black Flag? She sounds young. Only joking. Singer songwriter type thing. You know what I'm getting at.


NARNIA
ENTER THE GATE
Enter the gate? High-pitched clean vocals over early 80s influenced keyboard pop metal. Got it? Journey crossed with, uh, Iron Maiden.

IAN GILLAN
His voice doesn't appear to have changed at all. Ever. Neat. I think this is the one where he redoes a bunch of his old stuff. "Trashed" is the only one I ever got into, thanks to the video being played on the first few runs of Dee Snider's Heavy Metal Mania on MTV back in...oh, 1804? Gillan was with Black Sabbath for about 14 seconds. Long enough to make a video for this song. Which also included the drummer from ELO if I'm not mistaken. And I'm not. Just as a sidebar, what's the point of a solo album that sounds exactly like the main band?

PAUL MOTIAN
GARDEN OF EDEN
Cool jazz lives. My Berklee teachers would be elated.

SKIN
FAKE CHEMICAL STATE
Quite basic pop rock with distorted guitars. The first song sounds like Jesus & Mary Chain. Maybe the whole thing is like that. It's pleasant enough.

THE VINES
VISION VALLEY
Damn, it sounds like these guys calmed down a bit. Maybe they finally got some pubes & slowed down. They useta be screamy guitar pop. Now they're just guitar pop.

No comments: