Wednesday, April 26, 2006

KIDBEATS

ARDITI
DESTINY OF IRON 7"
Mm, sounds like a lame Dead Can Dance sample played on a cheesy little Casio SK-5 for ten minutes.

BIRD SHOW
LIGHTNING GHOST
Straaaaaaange. Highly experimental folky songage. With the oddest sonic additions! I'm telling you. I can't describe this shit, but I like it very very much.

CELTIC FROST
MONOTHEIST
follow-up: I haven't made much progress with this beast. It's so dark that it's impossible for me to listen to very often.

DANIETO
Contemplación De La Vida Inerte
Likably tuneful & clicky blipboptronica. Now get the hell outta here!

DICTAPHONE
VERTIGO II
Y'know, I don't think the name of this project is a coincidence. This thing sounds like it was recorded through someone's ass & then processed heavily later. Which is a cool working process but a real bitch to have to listen to.

FILM SCHOOL
FILM SCHOOL
This week's entry into the moody 1980s guitar pop rock stakes. & another winner. Octavey guitar always wins with me.

FORWARD, RUSSIA!
GIVE ME A WALL
A more extroverted entry in the moody 1980s guitar pop rock category. & another winner. Fake Simon Le Bon vocals often win with me.

MANITOU
DEADLOCK
I wonder if they got their name from the Venom song in the 1980s. If so, cool. Too bad they sound more like Europe than Venom.

ORTHODOX
GRAN PODER
Hm, doom, lovely doom. Four songs clocking in at just under an hour. Sounds like quite a bit of improv happening as well. Which would explain a few things.

PATH OF RESISTANCE
CAN'T STOP THE TRUTH
The album opens with a wall of gweetar feedback. Aw, how cute. How fucking old school in this day & age. Then a hardcore metal punk polka thrash beat just like we useta do in the 1980s.

PHAROAH
THE LONGEST NIGHT
Melodic metal that is HIGHLY derivative of Iron Maiden. To the extreme! Maybe a little Judas Priest on top, just to blur the lines.

REFLEXION
OUT OF THE DARK
Big budget Euro power metal.

REKID
MADE IN MENORCA
Likeably tuneful epic bliptronica with nods to the 1980s. Which is a nice touch. "Arp"!

SNOW PATROL
EYES OPEN
Never heard 'em before, so I guess I better pay attention. Semi experimental indie pop rock. I can't tell if it rules or sucks ass at this point. Which doesn't mean a thing.

THIRD FLOOR STORY
LONELY CITY
Big budget wimpy indie rock. I think the frailty & smallness of the songs is betrayed by this obnoxiously shiny production. As a bunch of 4-track demos, this album would probably rule.

No comments: