Thursday, April 13, 2006

groan

Motley Crue - Rock am Ring 2005

I grabbed this video really out of morbid curiosity. I haven't been a fan since the mid 80s but after seeing the setlist for their most recent tours, I recognized quite a few song titles. Plus it was online so it's not like there was any kind of risk involved. The show? Yeesh. I think they've always been pretty rough live, but this show was really ragged. Poor Mick Mars! That's all I can say. I don't know how he's still able to play guitar. But he is. Tommy Lee's drumming is still the star attraction as far as I'm concerned. Vince Neil just sucks. Nikki Sixx is a fuckin' cheese. And in 2005 they really weren't doing any justice to their legacy.

I don't know, I've seen Billy Idol's set from the same festival & he was much better. Weird.



ANGELS AND AIRWAVES
WE DON'T NEED TO WHISPER
Crap band name. Potentially crap album title. We're not off to a great start here, Angels And Airwaves. "Valkyrie Missile" opens & they may have invented a genre here. I don't know what you'd call it though. It's like trance guitar synth pop. Cross New Order, Underworld and U2. Very not bad. The singer's whiny emo voice removes any possibility of me wanting to hear this again though. And by the last song they just sound like Linkin Park playing Cure covers. Dire.


ANOUAR BRAHEM
LE VOYAGE DE SAHAR
Movie soundtrack? If not, then, finely detailed motifs using classical and French-sounding (whatever that means) instrumentation. Accordion, that's what that means. Moods, textures, weight.


AVANT
DIRECTOR
Pop R&B stuff. Why am I listening to this? "Grown Ass Man" is a good title for a song & a great title for a ballad! Well done him.

No comments: