Friday, May 26, 2006

One Measured Exposure

Thomas Dolby
Windpower live video
Cleveland, OH
May 10, 2006

Damn it. I should've been at this show! Cleveland is as close as the tour came to me. Windpower has long been a favorite, so it's with mixed feelings that I watched this clip. He begins the song a capella & sounds horribly out of tune for some reason. He strains to get the notes out. Once the music kicks in, the song is in freefall, basically remixed on the fly. Verses, choruses, other bits, coming in rapid succession but not necessarily where they belong. I like the one man band idea but unfortunately it just boils down to karaoke. It's not all bad, though. Many aspects of the original are retained and despite everything, it's good to see Thomas Dolby in action. I love the fact that he makes things like this available

download - Thomas Dolby Windpower

No comments: