Tuesday, May 16, 2006

GONNA BE THERE

ABOMINATOR
THE ETERNAL CONFLAGRATION
Scary black thrash grind metal. My favorite kind.

AKMUSIQUE
LA VIE DU LOUNGE
Mellow trip hop to full on jazz to, I don't know, techno pop. Interesting gamut.

AVENUE BLUE
NIGHTLIFE
Smooth jazz.

BOARDS OF CANADA
TRANS CANADA HIGHWAY
Slowly unfolding, melodic, textural electronica. Cool beats & production. I like "Dayvan Cowboy" and "Skyliner".

THE CHANNELS
THE CHANNELS
Occasionally acceptable big-budget wimpy indie rock.

KEEP OF KALESSIN
ARMADA
Progressive, epic death metal with an equal preponderance of synths and blastbeats. "The Black Uncharted" sounds like Voivod. Now I'm confused.

THE KILAMANJARO DARKJAZZ ENSEMBLE
Sweet, dark, full band improv. Portishead plus Talk Talk. Or, Sianspheric. Same thing, no? Very cool.

PERSUADER
WHEN EDEN BURNS
Super melodic death metal. Clean, melodic vocals. Very confusing.

PHARAOH
THE LONGEST NIGHT
Dope prorgressive-ish metal. With lots of long instrumental parts. The singer's voice doesn't grate either, which is rare in this genre. This genre we call Iron Maiden.

RED WINE
THE END
A band I've never heard, covering a bunch of metal/hard rock classic tracks that I've never heard. Well, I've heard the Dio & Megadeth songs at some point.

ROGUE TRADERS
HERE COME THE DRUMS
Um, kinda guitar-driven top forty pop music? "Voodoo Child" samples Elvis Costello's "Pump it Up".

RON SEXSMITH

TIME BEING
Elliott Smith? Or, if I'm feeling generous, Neil Finn? Type of thing? Singer songwriter thing.

SKYE
MIND HOW YOU GO
Slow/mopey pop music. Sounds like one of the Spice Girls with PMS.

STRANGE ATTRACTOR
EVERYTHING IS CLOSER
Kick ass trip hop. In bulk.

TACOA
FENG SHUI
Groovin' electronica along the lines of ole Deep Forest. ie beats plus indigenous music.

VOIVOD
KATORZ
It was sad when Piggy died. I've loved Voivod since the 80s. I don't care for Jasonic's involvement, but the 2003 self-titled Voivod album was excellent. 30 seconds into "The Getaway", this is already different. Let me listen to this mofo 50x & I'll get back to you. "The X-stream" is fucking excellent, I can say that much. But the front cover art isn't very amazing, is it.

THE WAKE
DEATH-A-HOLIC
Obviously not The Wake (UK) on Factory Records nor Cleopatra Records's The Wake from Columbus Ohio. This one is an Opeth-y death metal band.

SCOTT WALKER

THE DRIFT
Fucking weird. How did this guy become famous again? The music is experimental, possibly improvised. The vocals, um, highly poetic recitations? With occasional melodic passages.

No comments: