Monday, February 27, 2006

NEVER WILL

Oh man, I watched a Jane's Addiction vid from Italian TV in 1990, it was amazing. I've literally never seen or heard anything live from that tour. & since it was on Italian TV, Perry could say MF as much as he wanted. Which was often. Similarly for the Red Hot Chili Peppers 1988 Europe documentary. Apart from seeing them at the Newport in 1987, I've never seen or heard any live stuff from that year. That was easily my favorite Chili Peppers era. Uplift Mofo Party Plan. The live stuff is incredible. Especially the soundcheck - Jack Irons does this marching band drum cadence thing that is literally unbelievable. I never knew anything about him as a drummer. I guess I still don't, apart from the fact that he's a MONSTER! And poor Hillel, who died right after that tour of a heroin overdose. They all look pretty coked-out (except Irons) too. Oh well. No chump love sucka! No chump love sucka! etc.
Rounded out the evening with Faith No More at Rock In Rio II, 1991. Very very nice nice. Apart from the endless & endlessly dull version of The Real Thing. Fuck that. They started off so strong too, with From Out Of Nowhere. What a great song that is. Still is. And I watched half of the Black Sabbath Paris 1970 video. Oh my. Oh my oh my. So dark. So menacing. Effortlessly brutal. & y'all can keep yer John Bonham, Bill Ward was the MAN.

No comments: