Thursday, August 24, 2006

Well Thought Out Twinkles

ICE-T
Rhino Hi-Five
Um. Five Ice-T classics, no really, classics, together at last on one modern EP. Serving what purpose I have no idea. Surely an Ice-T greatest hits compilation would be longer than five tracks. "Rhyme Pays" sounds more LL Cool J than I remember. It still sounds raw. "Soul on Ice" is a great little narrative thing...."I'm Your Pusher," obviously. "Shut Up, Be Happy" is a strange pick since it's just a mashup of Black Sabbath and Jello Biafra. "O.G. Original Gangster" in 1991 should've been the beginning of a string of great rap albums. Unfortunately it was pretty much the end. Body Count happened the following year and of course he hasn't done anything musically worth a shit since.

IRON MAIDEN
A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH
Do I dare? I skipped the last Maiden album but I really enjoyed Brave New World. "Different World" is a nice headbanging take on the idea of, um, having an open mind about other peoples' points of view. I'd love to see an audience singing about how much they respect other cultures, for example. "These Colours Don't Run" is apparently about american military types with flags tattooed on their asses. "It's the same in every country". God, I love this album already. "Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" is about Bruce Dickinson growing up with the threat of nuclear war looming. Musically it has nice dynamics. And on and on. It's a political Iron Maiden record. Fortunately for me I happen to agree with their stances. Metal titans and politics don't usually go together. But I like this so far.

IRVING
Death in the Garden, Blood on the Flowers
Lengthy titles are usually a predictor of bad things musically. Not always. "The Gentle Preservation of Chidlrens' Minds" is modern alternative rockery. "She's Not Shy" too. Two guitars, keyboards, bass, drums. Three note singer dude. It reminds me of Interpol but without the ghoulish bombast. For better or worse.

KOOP
Koop Islands
"Koop Island Blues" reminds me of Lovage. ie electronic swing with h0tt female vox. "Come to Me" is more of the same, cheesy swingy music with syrupy singing. Not bad for what it is, whatever that means.

SILVERSUN PICKUPS
Carnavas
"Well Thought Out Twinkles" is cool & melodic modern rock with kind of a 70s throwback guitar melody. Engagingly uptempo but not necessarily happy alt rock guitar trax. It must be good if I can't think of anything else.

TOKYO POLICE CLUB
A Lesson in Crime EP
What I love about "Cheer it On" is that it just sounds like the stupidest fucking thing in the world until the chorus hits. By which time, forget about it. It rules. They remind me of the Strokes and everyone else, sure. But still. Who cares. Originality is overrated & outmoded.

THE VEILS
Nux Vomica
Moody, screamy rock. Wiv acoustick guitars an that. Extra large. The lyrics have Morrisseyish aspirations, I reckon. "Advice for Young Mothers To Be." What else could it be.

NICKY WIRE

I Killed the Zeitgeist
Um, moody screamy rock wiv electrick guitars an' that. Rubbish on purpose, only is it. On purpose, I mean. Obviously it's rubbish. Just listen to his singing voice.

No comments: