Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I CAN SEE YOU

After watching this program with increasing excitement last night:

BBC - ROCK FAMILY TREES: Birmingham Beat

only* guitar driven pop music from the late 1960s sounds right to my ears. Fortunately there's a ton of albums uploaded in the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.1960s group today. Such as "Around" by the previously unheard band Grapefruit.

Roy Wood is my new hero. Clearly, he pioneered everything good in rock music - makeup, stupid rock and roll songs, animal costumes.

Even Jeff Lynne came off sounding much better than I remember. ELO? Seriously? EL fucking O? The Move is fucking excellent. Wizzard was more of a laugh, but still very good.

Wizzard - See My Baby Jive



Paul and Gene have acknowledged stealing "Fire Brigade" for the early KISS track "Firehouse". They attempted to repay their hero Roy Wood by having Wizzard open for them on tour. which didn't go so well. Also Andy Partridge openly admitted to ganking "Blackberry Way" wholesale for the Dukes of Stratosphear track "Collideascope."



This version: holy fucking crap, it's guitar, bass and drums! Only! Imagine making that much of a song with just guitar, bass and drums!!! I said imagine, whore!

I was hoping the documentary would cover Brummie land during the 1970s as well. I mean, I could never figure out why Bev Bevan was in fucking Black Sabbath in the early 80s. Well, hell, he's from Birmingham. Plus he was a pop star in the Move wasn't he.

*well, and Alan Parsons Project, Ratt and Apparat. Mountain "Climbing."

No comments: